Sunday, July 15, 2012

Justice

If I decide that what I do is justified simply because I did it, can I absolve myself of all guilt? After all I must have had my reasons to do it. And because I always do something for a reason, even if it is as simple as “I felt like doing it”, I can live a life of total guilt free bliss. I can murder someone just to test a new pistol or rape someone just because I was horny. You can put me in your jails, flog me, stone me or hang me but you can never put guilt in my conscience. And what about the petty crimes, like defaulting on a promise or cheating on someone who loves me? You can only hope some make-believe higher power will strike upon me with vengeance. Even if I am somehow punished, will justice ever be delivered if I never repent?

So, at the end of it all, do not all matters of morality and justice come down to the ability of the rest to manipulate the conscience of the accused? The power of reasoning frightens me at times. What we consider morality is just an informal standard to which most of us have agreed and that is being pulled down step by step through powerful lobbying. And we spend all our lives believing in such flimsy concepts. The more rational we become the more capable we are of the most heinous crimes. How I wish I was born in an age where people were still less refined and believed in chivalry and honor. And greed and self love still considered vulgar.

6 comments:

  1. Being more rational doesn't necessarily mean going against the set "informal" standards to which we call morality!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Profound, liked it. You should write more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "That's not what justice is," the colonel jeered, and began pounding the table again with his big fat hand. "That's what Karl Marx is. I'll tell you what justice is. Justice is a knee in the gut from the floor on the chin at night sneaky with a knife brought up down on the magazine of a battleship sandbagged underhanded in the dark without a word of warning"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Justice, morality , rationality are human constructs.
    And man is certainly not a rational animal.
    Nature just goes on spontaneously

    ReplyDelete
  5. scary..looks like the foundation of batman series. punishment may not affect the accused but it was never between accused and the victim. its to control the other potential followers who would have twisted reason to an extent of anarchy...anyways 3 most heinous crimes which needs to be addressd are?

    ReplyDelete
  6. the 2 already mentioned in here sry..tumhara blog padh ke josh aa raha tha kuch likhnae ka...mast.. remember a freud' quote..men are more moral than you think and more immoral than u CAN imagine...majority lies in the better half of this boundary there are only a few wanderers, or we would have been extinct a long time ago...

    ReplyDelete